Sheep Connect Tasmania is Australia Wool Innovation‘s (AWI’s) key investment in extension for the Tasmanian sheep and wool industries. The program is a joint venture between AWI and the Tasmanian Institute of Agriculture (TIA).
The program’s objectives are:
- “…continue to be recognised by producers and service providers as the key conduit for valuable, relevant and timely farming systems information to sustain vibrant, resilient and profitable sheep enterprises”
- “…through the Producer Advisory Panel… …proactively identify local producer and industry priorities and provide opportunities to manage arising challenges”
- “…support producers in acquiring the skills to manage systems diversity; integration of sheep into an evolving farming system“
- “…actively participate in developing a pathway into long-term, vibrant and sustainable careers in wool and sheepmeat enterprises“
James Tyson BAgrSc MBA
M: 0409 006 774 | E: email@example.com
After eight years working with Australia’s leading agribusiness banks – Rabobank Australia and National Australia Bank – James now manages the Sheep Connect Tasmania extension program; creating sustainability through improved productivity and profitability.
James comes from a prime lamb and cropping property at Sassafras and has a Bachelor of Agricultural Science from the University of Tasmania. He has also completed a Master of Business Administration (MBA) at Curtin Graduate School of Business in Perth, Western Australia.
Catriona Nicholls (Cat) B. App Sci (Agric) Grad Dip Ed
M: 0427 571 199 | E: firstname.lastname@example.org
After 15 years working as a researcher, writer and editor with Australia’s largest farmer-driven research and publishing organisation — Kondinin Group, Cat has brought her communication skills back to a local level, providing communications support to Sheep Connect Tasmania.
Based at ‘Valma Downs’ in the Meander Valley, Cat has a background in agricultural science and passion for extending research outcomes to producers in a practical, relevant and easy-to-understand way.
Feedback on the Sheep Connect Tasmania program:
“…provides a key comprehensive channel of updated information to the Tasmanian sheep and wool industry which would be lacking if the network was not in place…” – J.C.
“…the foremost source of relevant and timely information for Tasmanian sheep producers and industry participants…” – M.D.
“…the project has set a benchmark in Tasmania; it provides good, reliable information…” – S.P.
The Producer Advisory Panel
Sheep Connect Tasmania utilises a Producer Advisory Panel to proactively identify local producer and industry priorities and provide opportunities to manage arising challenges.
– James Tyson, Project Manager, Sheep Connect Tasmania
– Emily King, Manager, Woolgrower Extension & Adoption, AWI
– Peter Hanrahan, Consultant, Peter Hanrahan Consulting
– Brian Field, Centre Leader, Extensive Agriculture Centre, TIA
– Julian von Bibra, Beaufront, Ross (Chairman)
– Tim McShane, Stockman Stud, Melton Mowbray (TFGA Wool Council)
– Chris Headlam, Lowes Park, Woodbury
– Cate Morrison, St Peters Pass, Oatlands
– Rob Tole, Greenvale, Cressy
– Chris Badcock, Fairbank, Hagley
– Emma Boon, Mt Vernon, Kempton